January 31, 2012

Deep Breathes

Only one more day to go! We are so excited, but honestly, it hasn’t completely sunk in yet.

It’s been such a wonderful (and long) year of planning our trip. At points we’ve felt a little nervous at the whole premise. These little morsels of encouragement have been the perfect reminders to trust in what we’re about to do.

“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
-  Anonymous

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
-  Katie’s (debatable) ancestor, Mark Twain

“It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love for your dream for the adventure of being alive…”
-  Oriah's The Invitation

“When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘No’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something ... Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
-  Steve Jobs

"Your greatest achievement is not to get ahead of others, but to surpass yourself."
-  Anonymous

“So many people live in unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation…because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind. But in reality, nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. And so, in short, get out of Salton City and hit the Road.”
-  Jon Krakauer “Into the Wild”

No comments:

Post a Comment